Cover of the Week: Kelly Clarkson “I Know You Won’t” (Carrie Underwood Cover)

Kelly Clarkson + "I Know You Won't" + Carrie Underwood Cover

Kelly Clarkson descended upon Hollywood last night to perform an intimate set at The Troubadour — best part — the show was free to fans. During the show, Ms. Clarkson performed several cuts from her forthcoming album, Stronger, in addition to a mesmerizing cover of “I Know You Won’t” — the belt-tastic song from none-other-than fellow American Idol alum Carrie Underwood.

These two singers are constantly pit against each other so it seems only natural we ask the obvious question — who sang it better Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson?

Watch Kelly Clarkson perform “I Know You Won’t” live from the Troubadour — then watch Carrie Underwood perform the same song live from The Opry. Cast your vote after the cut.

Who's version of "I Know You Won't" do you prefer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

[Sources: Addicted2Concerts & OpryLive]

, , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Cover of the Week: Kelly Clarkson “I Know You Won’t” (Carrie Underwood Cover)

1. Anonymous October 20, 2011 at 8:43 pm #

Carrie and Kelly are both great singers.  It’s all a matter of interpretation. Kelly made me cry……Carrie didn’t.

• jayvee October 20, 2011 at 9:06 pm #

Feel you on that — it’s a great song — both incredible singers in their own way. Thanks for voting!!

2. Andrew October 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

Carrie gave the song power.. Kelly gave the song a softer feel.. Both versions are amazing. But I have to say Carrie for me. Her voice with that power on a song expressing hurt AND anger, is just too convincing.. Kelly only gives me ‘hurt’.. But like I said, both are incredible singers who will be a round for a long long time.. :)

3. cade October 20, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

If you want to compare vocally Kelly’s 2:16 – 2:26 vs Carrie’s 3:51 – 4:00 pretty much sum it up.

• Linda October 22, 2011 at 5:49 pm #

Damn, Kelly just floored me there. NOBODY in popular music today can hit those notes with such power and emotion. Carrie has never sung a note that high in her career. That was beautiful. Well done KC!

4. Iwannabhe25 October 21, 2011 at 12:01 am #

Im a big carrie fan but I had to vote for Kelly’s.. :( honestly, I wasn’t even interested in Kelly’s music and vocal. but that performance was just speechless.

5. Dustymist October 21, 2011 at 1:27 am #

Carrie, of course!!!!!

6. Erin October 21, 2011 at 11:33 am #

They are both super talented and i’m a fan of both but Kelly wins this hands down!  You can tell that Carrie is really pushing where with Kelly it’s like she doesn’t even have to try! So effortless! Definitely the voice of this generation! Incredible!

• Sharon October 21, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Look again…….Kelly SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to her breathing…She can’t even sing…If you call yelling good….Then YOU definitely have a hearing problem!!!!!!!

• Erin October 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Really? Hmm..i’ll have to look into that.  Thanks for the diagnosis.

• dawn October 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

you can like or dislike but if you say Kelly can’t sing, you’re the one who have to have your hearing checked :)

• Kaitlyn Mclain December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm #

nooooooooo youre just mad cause kelly clarkson is the best yea she yells when she sings but at leats it actually sounds like singing while carrie underwood is just straigt up obnoxious

• Guest October 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm #

It IS totally effortless for Kelly.  She can interpret songs like no other.

7. Guest October 21, 2011 at 4:21 pm #

Both are great but I perfer Carrie!!!  She is amazing!

8. Guest October 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm #

Kelly, Kelly, Kelly…I love the soulfulness in her voice.

9. karen October 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

I love both, but I can feel the anguish in Carries voice..  it’s as if she is really getting her emotions out in this.   It boils down to her connection to this song I guess, and the message it sends..It’s almost as if she is yelling out at the man, who she’s waiting for patiently..  and finally at the end she blows that burning candle out, and gives up on him.

10. Ian October 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

Clarkson’s version moved me. End of story.

11. Jessica (KC-Stronger, 24 Okt) October 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm #

Kelly!! ♥ She is amazing on every song she sings!

12. Anonymous October 22, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Voted for Kelly. Her voice tells a story with subtlety, power and soul. She’s incredible and has the best voice in music today.

13. Blinker October 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm #

Carrie absolutely blasted her way through that and it was a chore for me to listen to. Not pleasing at all. I vote for Kelly who sang the song with emotion and put the power where it belonged, in the few areas that called for it. Carrie going full blast the whole time took away from the beautiful lyrics which got lost and didn’t come across at all.

14. franklovecarrie October 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm #

carries sing hurt mine ear ,i dont feel l it like i do with kelly ..kelly voice just on another planet ,she sing with so much emmotion and soul ..it no contest for me who is better

15. Timothy Butler October 23, 2011 at 6:39 am #

Kelly’s version is more soulful and more emotional. I believe Kelly taps in to the heartbreak of the song better than Carrie does.

16. guest October 24, 2011 at 11:58 am #

Carrie has got the screech level sewn up.

Kelly lives through music and her voice display that.  Magnificent.

17. Tammy October 24, 2011 at 3:21 pm #

CARRIE

18. Hnwild71 October 29, 2011 at 8:11 pm #

Both singers are amazing, but Kelly’s take was more passionate connected and soulful. I vote Kelly. I really doubt Carrie could improve on a Kelly Clarkson song and I’m a fan of both. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HER DO IT THO!!!!! But theres no need to bash either singer, in a world of Avril Lavines and Beibers lets just praise real talent while we can. XD

19. Babyd0ll March 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm #

I first heard this song tonight on American Idol when Jeremy Rosado chose this song for his “sing-for-your-life” performance and it was so heart-felt and I just loved his rendition. So much so, that I immediately youtubed the song to hear the full version by Carrie and when I played it, it was like a totally different song! I thought, maybe I should hear Carrie’s live version, to see if she spiced up the range a bit. Nope, still lifeless. Even though she sang it well and hit ever note, it lacked soul. Kinda like she was singing a script. I stumbled upon Kelly’s cover of the song and from the moment I heard it, I didn’t want it to be over! Love it.

20. Guest April 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

Kelly hits the soul with her rendition, Carrie’s version for me was too repetitive and it was work just to get through to the end of it. Kelly on the other hand, it was work to quit listening to it.

21. Estringsandy May 6, 2012 at 9:11 am #

No For Real. Are you Kidding me?  Carrie blows Kelly away on this song. Kelly doesn’t even come close to the power of Carrie. Come on people !  Listen. No doubt about it. Kelly is a great singer in her own right but she could never do that song like Carrie does. If you listen to both girls with an “open ear”  you will see that Carrie sings that song with so much more power and conviction. And she holds those long notes out what seems like forever. Kelly can’t match that.

22. Bob Keith May 13, 2012 at 3:32 am #

In general I would say that Kelly has a stronger voice and better range… but gosh, Carrie is SO much easier on the eyes.  She has a real stage presence that Kelly just doesn’t have.  In fact Kelly just looks like an all-around slob, here. Carrie looks angelic most of the time.  I like Kelly’s voice better, but Carrie pulled off this song the best, imo.  It would have been better to have judged with my eyes closed, but too late now.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Cover of the Week: Kelly Clarkson "I Know You Won't" (Carrie Underwood) + Uplugged | The Round Table - November 11, 2011

[...] fans and sang the song during a free show at The Troubadour in L.A. Soon after, we asked you, the fans, to sound off as to who sang it better – and both Underwood and Clarkson fans came ou… to support their favorite [...]